Asset Publisher

Lugares - monumentos - Iglesia de San Martín

Church of Saint Martin

Its tower shows the transition from Romanesque to Gothic

There is proof of the existence of an hermitage, since 1148, on the site occupied by the church today. Of this mediaeval church only the original tower remains, rising to one side of the present frontal structure and similar in volume and composition to that of Santa Maria "La Antigua", though possessing elements from the Romanic to the Gothic periods. The main structure of the church, a work by Diego de Praves (1588), consists of a singular nave with side chapels between buttresses, and a principal quadrangular altar. From 1621, the works were continued by his son Francisco de Praves. The principal façade depicts, in a relief by Antonio Tomé of 1721, St Martin handing over his cape to a beggar. In 1968, it was totally restored following the collapse of the vault and roof.

Asset Publisher

Address:

Calle de San Martín, 10

Asset Publisher

LOCATION

Widget tiempo Valladolid

Asset Publisher