Lugares - monumentos - Calle Platerías
Plateria street and Ochavo square
Welcome to the 16th century
The Historical Compound configured by the Calle Platería (previously Costanilla), Plaza del Ochavo and the Vera Cruz Church, was designed in the style prevalent during the Renaissance. The north branch of the Esgueva river used to run along this street that was frequently inundated, that is way it was reformed in the 17th and 20th centuries. The street was the place were most silversmith workshops traded (Calle the Platería means Silversmithing Street). San Pedro Regalado was born in 1390 a house on this street, which is now marked with a plate . The Vera Cruz church was built at the end of the 16th century using plans drawn by Pedro Mazuecos. The main facade, of 1595, is a work by Juan de Nates and Diego de Praves. Between 1667-8 the church was extended using plans by Juan Texedor. Plaza del Ochavo is an octagonal square that offers a beautiful perspective of the street. The square has also an octagonal fountain of 1520.