Lugares - monumentos - calle Juan Mambrilla
Seminary School of Saint Gregory
Discover its enigmatic façade
It is an architectural work from the end of the 15th Century, under the guidance of Fray Alonso de Burgos, confessor of the Catholic Monarchs and Bishop of Palencia.
Its monumental façade replete with decorative and sculptured elements attributed to Gil de Silóe is worth noting. With Fray Alonso before the Pope in the tympanum and St. Dominic and St. Paul at the sides.
The buttresses are decorated with warriors. There are also angels with the armorial bearings of the founder. In the centre piece there is a pomegranate tree sheltering the arms of the Catholic Monarchs with a pomegranate in the top representing their conquer (so it is dated after 1492).
The design of the chapel, where the bishop is buried, is attributed to the architects Juan Guas and Juan de Talavera, starting in 1484. In 1499 a sacristy by Simón de Colonia was attached to it. Now it is state property and houses since 1933 the National Scultpture Museum.
Juan Mambrilla street
On this street, among other singular buildings, are the Zúñiga Palace and the Mudarra Palace
On this street, among other singular buildings, the Zúñiga Palace stands out, located on the number 14. It is a construction of the 15th century, with a geometrical facade and the entrance with a semicircular arch, an alfiz and a coat of arms at both sides. It has an interesting courtyard with a coffered ceiling supported by octagonal pillars and wooden bases. It was the property of Alonso de Zúñiga, and Alvaro the Luna spent a night here before been brought to the Portillo Castle for his execution. The tribunal of the Inquisition was installed here. Today, it belongs to the University of Valladolid and is called Centro Buendía, which houses the Secretariat of Publications.
Another singular building on this street is the Mudarra Palace, on the number 33. It is a construction of the 16th century and currently is the Convent of Salesas. It has an interesting courtyard and its facade conserves the coat of arms of the family that ordered its construction. It is a clear example of the purest Renaissance of Valladolid.Otro edificio singular de esta calle es el Palacio de los Mudarra, ubicado en el nº 33. Esta construcción es obra del siglo XVI, aunque actualmente ha abandonado sus funciones palaciegas y es el Convento de Salesas. Posee de su pasado civil, un interesante patio y mantiene la fachada de piedra, aún con el blasón de la familia que lo mandó construir, siendo una clara muestra del Renacimiento purista vallisoletano.