Lugares - monumentos - Pasaje Gutiérrez - Lugares - monumentos - Pasaje Gutiérrez
A little bit of Paris in the capital of the river Pisuerga
It is an European-style shopping arcade, built in the second half of the 19th century at the initiative of Eusebio Gutiérrez for commercial purposes. The plans were commissioned to Jerónimo Ortiz de Urbina, and it was built around 1885-6, featuring eclectic architecture elements like steel and glass. The gallery consists of two halls articulated around a central roundabout and covered by a glass dome. It houses the terracotta sculptures of the Four Seasons and a cast-iron sculpture of Mercury (God of Commerce), which is a copy of the original by Giambologna. The paintings in the ceiling represent diverse allegories and a balcony with a clock supported by to children, which are works by Salvador Seijas. The commercial establishments have a careful decoration where luminaries, paintings and sculptures stand out.