Lugares - monumentos - Monasterio de las Huelgas Reales - Lugares - monumentos - Monasterio de las Huelgas Reales
Monastery of the "Huelgas Reales"
The immortalized resting-place of the queen María de Molina
In 1282, the Queen María de Molina donates her palace and surrounding land to the Cistercian nuns for their home, to which the community relocated. Work on the monastery church -Latin-cross planned with chapels connected through the buttresses- was begun in 1579 and completed in 1599 by Juan del Ribero, Juan de Nates and Mateo Elorriaga. Of this building, only a gateway survives, Valladolid's sole example of Mudéjar art, and a tower of the 15th century. The cloister was totally renovated in 1622, using the plans drawn by Francisco de Praves. In the interior, the alabaster sepulchre of María de Molina (16th century), the major altarpiece with sculptures and reliefs by Gregorio Fernández, the Crucifix by Juan de Juni and four canvas painted by Tomás de Prado, are to be highlighted.