Lugares - monumentos - Iglesia Magdalena - Lugares - monumentos - Iglesia Magdalena
Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
An impressive coat-of-arms and alabaster burial vault of Pedro de la Gasca
This church was ordered to be rebuilt in 1566 by Don Pedro de la Gasca, Viceroy of Peru and Bishop of Palencia and Sigüenza, as a funeral pantheon. The church was designed by Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón and built by Francisco del Río. It consists of a single and spacious nave with a groined or double-barrelled vault and a major altar-piece by Esteban Jordán, who also built the alabaster burial vault of the Founder Bishop. Of note is the Chapel of Doctor Corral, Oidor of the Royal Chancellery and member of the Royal Council, that contains a reredos by Francisco Giralte. The principal façade, flanked by a tower, is presided by an image of Mary Magdalene and the noble coat-of-arms of its founder.
Valladolid seen through the eyes of its inhabitants and tourists