Lugares - monumentos - convento de las Descalzas Reales - Lugares - monumentos - convento de las Descalzas Reales
Convent of the "Descalzas Reales"
The King Felipe III and Margarita de Austria ordered it construction
Founded around 1522 in Villalcázar de Sirga (Palencia) and occupied by the Barefoot Franciscan Sisters of Santa Clara and later moved to Valladolid, when the community moved to its permanent home. At the beginnig of the 17th century, it was under the protection of the King Felipe III and Margarita de Austria, hence its name (the Convent of the Royal Barefoot Sisters). They ordered the construction of the temple, the cloister and the rooms to the architects Francisco de Mora and Diego de Praves. The church has a single nave of brick with stone base. The facade includes the royal coat of arms and a vaulted niche with The Immaculate, attributed to Gregorio Fernández. The major altarpiece is a work of Juan de Muniátegui. The Calvary and other sculptures of Gregorio Fernández stand out, together with some paintings by Santiago Morán and others typical of the Italian school. The restoration works of the reredoses and paintings of the church started in 2009 to recover the splendour of the temple.