Asset Publisher

Lugares - monumentos - Casa Consistorial

Town Hall

The best example in Spain of the influence of the 'Beaux-arts'

Its construction started in 1892 at the initiative of the Lord Mayor Don Miguel Iscar, with plans of Antonio Iturralde. In 1897 Antonio Iturralde died and the construction restarted in 1901 under the guidance of the architect Enrique Repullés y Vargas. Its neo-renaissance plan dominated by plateresque decoration is a tribute to the earlier 16th Century building which had to be demolished due to ruin.

Built using granite stone and pressed brick, it is based on a rectangular plan with an interior courtyard, four corner towers and an above-porch tribune on the front, in the centre of which the fifth tower rises, adorned with a clock as often found in medieval town halls.

In the interior, the imperial staircase stands out. The Principal Chamber faces the main square and the chamber of sessions is at the rear of the building. It has Plateresque features within its architecture, mainly taken of the Palacio de Monterrey in Salamanca. Stone from Mingorría (Ávila), Campaspero (Valladolid) and Hontoria de la Cantera (Burgos) was used in its construction.

Asset Publisher

Address:

Plaza Mayor, 1.

Asset Publisher

LOCATION

Widget tiempo Valladolid

Asset Publisher